The Medicare Learning Network (MLN) is offering a free self-paced, web-based training (WBT) course for physicians called “Avoiding Medicare Fraud and Abuse: A Roadmap for Physicians”. Continuing Medical Education (CME) credit is provided upon satisfactory completion.
The course reviews the five primary Federal fraud and abuse laws that apply to physicians:
- the False Claims Act;
- the Anti-Kickback Statute;
- the Stark Law (Physician Self-Referral);
- the Civil Monetary Penalties Law;
- the Exclusion Statute.
Upon completion of the course, the expectation is that participants will be positioned to have an enhanced understanding regarding recognition of Medicare fraud and abuse and how to recognize and comply with the laws in relationships with:
- payers (e.g., the Medicare and Medicaid programs);
- vendors (e.g., drug, biologic, and medical device companies);
- fellow providers (e.g., hospitals, nursing homes, and physician colleagues).
A booklet and a powerpoint presentation are the provided tools for the course, positioning self-paced learning.
The course provides instruction in complying with the law and identifying areas that could lead to potential liability.
A direct link to the course is: Avoiding Medicare Fraud and Abuse: A Roadmap for Physicians. You may also wish to visit the Medical Learning Network.